Monday, September 15, 2008

Sunday March 18

We got to the ministry again to no power. So John started out with a GIS lecture. Near the end of his lecture the lights came on again allowing me to do the workshop.

Today was a little frustrating. The students wanted to do the workshops over again and work along with me. This took about 4.5 hours for the first workshop…which was fine, but they want to do the others tomorrow, the first day of the hydraulics class, truncated by the 2 day new years holiday. I guess I’ll do it. I suppose reservoirs and hydrology are most important to their applications. Still, I’d like to get on with the second class.

We went to the gym again tonight. That’s 5 of 6 nights and I could probably use one off. My chest was so sore from yesterday that it was a limiter even though I was focusing on my arms. I had a good run though. After the gym, John and I hung out and celebrated the end of the HMS class. He is not going home right away. They are going to have him busy with some of the stuff he did last time he was here for most of the next week. He may come in to help with one or two of the workshops though. I really appreciate it.

We have decided that spice before the gym is not a good combination. Several of the cooks are Gurkas from Nepal. In fact, several of the USAID folks did a tour in Nepal back in the early days of western influence. It is the first time I have had a serious conversation about the state of a monarchy in several years. One of the guys who went to Nepal remembered a couple sayings including ‘the red road cannot be trusted.’ I have no idea what that means.

My computer just shuffled two separate Five Iron Frenzy songs where Reece makes reference to the gravitational constant and its squared nature. I think I like him because he is a poetic, punk nerd. Um…role model.

I really like the picture of the wall through downtown Kabul (above). It is really interesting in these counties where the ancient and modern mix. Our range rover dodges goats on the street. In the US there is a much smaller temporal standard deviation of lifestyle. There are very few people trying to get by in very similar ways that their great-great-great grandparents did. In Kabul there is a much more variance in the eras in which lifestyles are based. Every morning on the way to the ministry we pass a goat herd, a donkey/horse driven wagon and people powered trailers using the same road that we are. I don’t feel like I articulated this well, but it is pretty striking.

I’m really warming up to my new “scremo” cd’s. I think I reject the idea that a grown up is supposed to outgrow angst…not in this bent existence.

“my every medicine causes more illness…
Now I spend my days in ever increasingly complicated ways
Convincing myself of the rightness of each word I say” mewithoutyou

The first line makes me think of development work.

I found ‘lunch packs’ in the PX that consist of bagged tuna and crackers. I got a few extra crackers and I think it is going to work a lot better than a cookie and dry apple jacks. I also got one of those cup-of-soups. John thought I could add some of the tea water to them. I know they are just sodium and carbs…but I am tired of cookies for lunch (sugar and carbs).

One of the professors in my class just got invited to a sediment symposium in Tehran. He was very excited to show me his invitation. I don’t suppose I could get invited to that.

No comments: